Expressive Arts and Design
Exploring and using media and materials
- Enjoys joining in with dancing and ring games.
- Sings a few familiar songs.
- Beginning to move rhythmically.
- Imitates movement in response to music.
- Taps out simple repeated rhythms.
- Explores and learns how sounds can be changed.
- Explores colour and how colours can be changed.
- Understands that they can use lines to enclose a space, and then begin to use these shapes to represent objects.
- Beginning to be interested in and describe the texture of things.
- Uses various construction materials.
- Beginning to construct, stacking blocks vertically and horizontally, making enclosures and creating spaces.
- Joins construction pieces together to build and balance.
- Realises tools can be used for a purpose.
- Begins to build a repertoire of songs and dances.
- Explores the different sounds of instruments.
- Explores what happens when they mix colours.
- Experiments to create different textures.
- Understands that different media can be combined to create new effects.
- Manipulates materials to achieve a planned effect.
- Constructs with a purpose in mind, using a variety of resources.
- Uses simple tools and techniques competently and appropriately.
- Selects appropriate resources and adapts work where necessary.
- Selects tools and techniques needed to shape, assemble and join materials they are using.
Early Learning Goal
Children sing songs, make music and dance, and experiment with ways of changing them. They safely use and explore a variety of materials, tools and techniques, experimenting with colour, design, texture, form and function.
- Developing preferences for forms of expression.
- Uses movement to express feelings.
- Creates movement in response to music.
- Sings to self and makes up simple songs.
- Makes up rhythms.
- Notices what adults do, imitating what is observed and then doing it spontaneously when the adult is not there.
- Engages in imaginative role-play based on own first-hand experiences.
- Builds stories around toys, e.g. farm animals needing rescue from an armchair ‘cliff’.
- Uses available resources to create props to support role-play.
- Captures experiences and responses with a range of media, such as music, dance and paint and other materials or words.
- Create simple representations of events, people and objects.
- Initiates new combinations of movement and gesture in order to express and respond to feelings, ideas and experiences.
- Chooses particular colours to use for a purpose.
- Introduces a storyline or narrative into their play.
- Plays alongside other children who are engaged in the same theme.
- Plays cooperatively as part of a group to develop and act out a narrative.
Early Learning Goal
Children use what they have learnt about media and materials in original ways, thinking about uses and purposes. They represent their own ideas, thoughts and feelings through design and technology, art, music, dance, role play and stories.